It’s summer!!! Well it’s been summer for this week at least which is more then we could have said at any point during the last months so I am happy..What I am doing inside while the temperatures outside are close to reaching 25+ C I am not entirely sure, but rest assured I will go outside to play as soon as this post is up! I bought some deliciously sweet cherries at the market yesterday along with a bunch of really sweet strawberries. For a minute there I was really afraid that we would not get any good strawberries this year but thank goodness I was wrong.
What’s a summer without strawberries right? But this is soooo not about strawberries so I should get back to the subject at hand. This cherries… My favorite cherries are the white ones or the rainier cherries but those are hard to find and I think also later in the season, if I’m correct. But I bought a kilo of these dark red beauties yesterday and obviously needed to find something to use them with. The obvious choice would have been to bake something but that is a bit of a danger zone at the moment, since I am trying to shed some pounds, so I thought I’d incorporate them into a salad.
Maybe not your everyday choice to put cherries in a pasta salad, but let me tell you; it’s quite good! I had some watercress left in the fridge as well as some feta cheese, so I paired those together, going with the assumption that cherries and feta (sweet and salty) would be perfect. I hesitated for a moment to add halloumi in there, but I would have eaten the whole pack so not a good idea either.. Lol.
Fresh chives from the garden (you gotta love those beautiful chive flowers right?) and some chopped pistachio made the salad complete. It’s quick, it’s healthy and it’s delicious so what’s holding you back?
- 75 gr pasta (any shape will do but a smaller shape is best here)
- 20gr feta, crumbled
- 50-75 gr cherries, pits removed
- watercress, 1 handful
- 25 gr pistachio nuts, unsalted
- ½ tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- fresh chives
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions, drain, rinse and leave to cool.
- Remove the stones from the cherries. I always use one of those handy de-stone-thingies (no idea what they’re called in English!) which works wonders if you wear an apron to prevent any stains on your clothes. Crumble the feta and chop the pistachio. Add balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper together and blend to form a dressing.
- Put some watercress in a bowl, top with the pasta and add the rest of the ingredients on top. Sprinkle with the dressing. You can also add some dressing to your pasta before, just to make sure it doesn’t stick and so it can absorb the flavors.
- Cut some of the chives and sprinkle over the top.
Ok, ok and just because no post would be complete without at least one kitten picture I have this one from this morning. I was doing some exercises in the living room, with the cats watching me as if I was a maniac… And apparently that was very tiring for them to watch and Humphrey sort of fell asleep in my arms after I was done exercising…